Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dear John Jeremiah Sullivan: An Epistolary Book Review

Dear John Jeremiah Sullivan,

I just recently picked up your collection of essays, Pulphead. Someone, somewhere recommended it to me and I have no idea whosoever it was. I can't thank them, so I will thank you instead.

Thank you for being exactly my age. Thank you for your perspective on this world we who were born under the sign of Nixon's resignation have inherited. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of topics that generally just send knees jerking. Thank you for not being smug and condescending from your literary perch. Thank you for using phrases like "facty-facty" and making me laugh. Thank you for treating topics like Hurricane Katrina to a Christian rock festival to the Real World with equal parts seriousness and levity. Thank you for not taking yourself, nor this world we live in too seriously. Thank you for taking it seriously enough to really examine it. Thank you for writing in a voice that is authentic and entertaining. Thank you for encapsulating the beauty of our twisted human experience in ways that make me cry with recognition.

I aspire to write, to find my collection of essays in a book somewhere, some day. I plug away and ship them off; I sit and cringe and think I have nothing valuable to say. I know on some level that isn't true, but I wonder if there's a place for me in this great big literary world with my silly words and my self-deprecation, my goody-two-shoes roots, my irritability and my unconventional views. I wonder sometimes if it's even worth it. I struggle against the notion that fiction is the crown-jewel of genre, and I wonder if I'm just biased because I suck at it.

Reading your book has reminded me, yet again, of the value of essays, of literary non-fiction. It has reminded me of the beauty of examining closely a tiny facet of a larger whole and trying to figure out how it all fits together. It has reminded me that under seemingly "shallow" pop-culture references and icons lie much larger, deeper ideas. It has reminded me that a well written piece, even if it is about Axl Rose, has the power to move. Mostly, and less selfishly, your collection of essays has reminded me that in a world of sound bites and status updates and Tweets and platitudes and aphorisms, there is still a place for the long-form article, for opinions that are backed up with the heft of research and experience, for observations that sometimes go against the grain of the expected. Thank you most of all for that.

Sincerely,
Tangled Up In Lou
Aspiring essayist and not-at-all-creepy fan-girl

8 comments:

  1. They don't have that in my library. I checked. Thrice. Not cool. Not cool at all. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I found a Wikipedia page that links to a bunch of essays: http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jeremiah_Sullivan.

      Delete
  2. I would totally buy your book. Will buy it when it comes out. Your writing, your stories, are often much better than fiction. I'm glad you found inspiration in Sullivan, because I find inspiration in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiction, although I enjoy it, rarely elicits the emotions that your posts do. Essays aren't really my thing but I find myself thinking about reading this collection and praying that your collection will be available soon because then I won't just be thinking I'll be up the front of the que!

    Keep writing what you write and keep challenging me to be as good as you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will buy your book, for sure. Ebook? Fully bound hardback? I'm in. Either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was me! It was me! Or at least I was a person who recommended this book...I read it earlier this year and LOVED it. And when you do your book tour for your essay collection, I have a feeling you'll already have quite a posse of fans dotting the country to greet you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I thought it might have been you. I reserved it at the library ages ago and it finally came in. Thank you, thank you! I loved it so much. We shall have to discuss it sometime. Now I'm going to have to look up your review.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!