Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Gift of Sidewalks

***A little housekeeping first: yes, I am insane and signed on for another month of daily blogging. The theme this month is GIFT. Of course this leaves a lot of room for interpretation in my book. Anyway, I shall endeavor to present a gift for every day in December. Think of it as a kind of crazy advent blog or something. You'll have to provide your own chocolate, though. Now, on with the show...***


Our stretch of sidewalk.
A bank of fog has settled its broad, white behind over the city today. On a perfectly clear day from my street I can see the peaks of the Olympic Mountain range, I can see the hills of the next neighborhood over bristling with houses. I can look south and stand on my tippy toes and barely see the tippy tops of the buildings downtown. But the fog. When the fog rolls in, it obscures the sweeping vistas and everything outside my little crooked neighborhood is a blanket of grayish white and my world is reduced to the sidewalk directly in front of me.

In the summer the sidewalk is a canvas for chalk masterpieces; a two lane highway for a steady stream of little bicycles, scooters, Big Wheels; a space for impromptu block parties while we tend the children, the barbecue grills, and the front flower beds. In the fall it becomes a dreamscape of reds, golds, purples & greens as the trees that line our street start to shed. On sunny days those leaves are piled up and jumped in by neighborhood kids; on rainy days, they glisten like jeweled tiles. On school days, the sidewalks become become a colorful river with a procession of little ducklings on their trudge to school. Bundled heads and hands, parents clutching coffee, rubber boots, backpacks as big as their bearers, brave bicycles: all in varying degrees of "hurry up!" Today my sidewalks carried my knitting and me, first to the house of a friend, and then together to the promise of a cup of warm coffee and conversation.

I love my city of sidewalks. I love that most of my world is limited to where two legs can carry me. I love that the pace is reduced to the speed of the shortest legs. I love the fog today that wraps me up and shrinks the world to the length of a stride, the next puff of breath in the cold. I love the way the moss looks so vivid, almost surreal in the filtered light. I love the way the naked trees cling to their last few leaves like they were surprised getting out of the shower. I love the winter pansies and their brave, bright faces amid the grays and browns. I love the crows that watch us walk and they know. I love the friendly nods from strangers as we make our way. Most of all, I love that life becomes less about the destination and more about the means of getting there.

10 comments:

  1. You are crazy for doing another month, but I'm so glad you are. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post!! Growing up, we didn't have sidewalks through our neighborhood, but everything else you described was there (well, minus mountains and downtown). It brought me back to my own childhood and the walks to school through the different seasons. :) And props to you for signing on for another month! I'll continue posting too, but without the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One month of every day was more than enough for me, I have to return to a major project of wrapping up a college diploma. You are near one of my children, he will be in that part of the world for about another year. I love fog, mainly because it happens so rarely here in my part of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping the chocolate would come with my white fluffy robe and kool-aid. No? Sheesh.

    I'm so glad you're insane! I get to read more of your writing and that's fabulous. I love the imagery here. I can picture it all in my head and I feel warm and cozy, with a chilly nose, just reading your description. I love this part: "...the naked trees cling to their last few leaves like they were surprised getting out of the shower." This made me laugh out loud, then stop and realize that's EXACTLY what they look like. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always believed that having an extraordinary appreciation for ordinary moments is one of the keys to remaining sane in the face of life's ever-increasing demands. I'm beginning to suspect you may not be quite as crazy as you would have us believe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great neighborhood! Love your descriptions. Really felt like I was there and it seems so tranquil. The sidewalk is a great little stretch for you guys.

    Visiting from NaBloPoMo December thread. :-) Happy December blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your imagery as well. And my nose is chilly because I was late-night snacking on ice cream. Super glad you are posting every day again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wow me on a regular basis. You seriously need to write a book. I look forward to opening my gift everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post. I am an avid walker. I ccan walk for hours when the weather permits... so I completely appreciate your fondness for sidewalks ;)

    Nadia @ Red, White & GREEN Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this- the line about the pace being set by the shortest legs is something I reflect upon often as I am out with my children every day. Even though we only go a few blocks at a time because of their ages, and it's often the same blocks each time, there's always something new to discover and appreciate, specifically because the pace is slowed and the world is seen from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!