Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Gift of Early Literacy

The Hooligan learned to read about a year ago. I take no credit for this, whatsoever. He just started reading things one day when no one was paying attention. That's kind of how he operates. There are definite upsides to this: I forget my glasses in the car? Hey bud, why don't you read these directions to Mama. While you're at it, can you tell me what that street sign says? The very best advantage to this is that when everybody gets all up on Mama's nerves, they can go to their separate corners and read a book. Oh yes, the sweet muttering of new readers.

So, tonight at dinner between knock-knock jokes, the Hooligan rips a belch worthy of The Marshmallow Viking and keeps on talking. Careful not to interrupt, I wait until he finishes his sentence and then ask:
"What do you say?"

Without missing a beat, both monkeys stand up and applaud and holler "Encore! Encore!"

Copyright 1992 Bill Watterson.
From Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
Thank you Bill Watterson. Somebody has discovered Daddy's stash of the complete Calvin & Hobbes. I haven't decided yet if this is one of the upsides or downsides of early literacy. 

9 comments:

  1. Not upside or downside, that was an uneXpected something coming "OUT", so it was an Outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son learned to read about a year ago and honestly didn't have any interest until he discovered Calvin and Hobbes now you have to beg him to stop reading and go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes! I am slightly terrified my spirited children will turn out to be just like Calvin, but at least I know they'd make me smile. Maybe a few years down the road, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Calvin and Hobbes fan here, too. It's great the kids can not only read, but enjoy reading and entertain themselves with it. Of my four, I got two readers and two mostly non--I'm not sure of the genetic implications there since both Hubby and I are pretty avid readers.

    Word verification: "harchau," which sounds like another applause-worthy bodily function.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. At least it was something as innocuous as applauding a burp, yes? Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harchau! Bless you. Love it. I have decided the Calvin thing is, indeed, an upside. Although I have to keep a closer eye on him. He keeps wanting to take a bath in the toilet. There are so many worse things he could be reading, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I do not say this lightly. I think I love your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jane - That is high praise, indeed. It is my mission to raise children that adults like being around. I'm not that fond of children, myself. I mean, I like mine and all, but you know...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!