Thursday, March 22, 2012

This Is How We Do It

Last week I posed a question: How Do You Do That Thing We Do?
How do you write? From whence comes your inspiration? How does the process work for you?
There were a lot of answers. A lot of them were similar: a lot of people just seem to sit and write, then edit what comes out when they're done. A lot of people get sudden flashes of inspiration at the most inconvenient times. For some it is a necessity, a drive. Some of us couldn't explain, exactly. It generated so much fascinating discussion - read the comments on that post! So much good information there. It generated a few posts, too. And that, my friends, is the beauty of blogging. People in their living rooms, kitchens, offices, pajamas, all across the world can sit and chat together instantaneously about the things they love. For your reading and writing pleasure, I've assembled the posts (that I was aware of) here. Please, it is not my intention to leave anyone out, so if I've missed you or someone you know, let me know!

Masked Mom wrote three! Two are full of good information about getting an essay ready for submission and waiting on the answer. One is about her process - or as much as she can tell us about it anyway. AND she has a hat.

Tara at Faith In Ambiguity talks about being alive while she writes. About editing, about telling the muse to wait. About finding exactly the right words.

Dawn at Alphabet Salad surprises herself where she ends up. She also edits as she goes along and then tweaks, tweaks, tweaks until it's perfect.

JT at In Search of a Title talks about the different kinds of writing she does in her life - for work, for pleasure, for herself, for others and how they differ. She prefers to write essays over fiction and to find exactly the right word to express herself.

M at the M-Half of the M & J Show prompted even more discussion in her post about writing vs. blogging.

And! The fashionably late Jane In Her Infinite Wisdom talks about the most key ingredient for writing - courage.

Jewels at Frazzled & Frumpy is in the process of shopping a novel. I have read part of it and I think it's going to go places. She shares some what she's learned here.

Are there more? Link them here in the comments. And a great big thank you for such interesting discussion and input. Having all you people around every day keeps me writing when the muse is stamping his tattooed foot and saying "IDONWANNA!" and chucking great big cinder blocks in my stream of consciousness.

Also, speaking of blog friends, the lovely Deb over at Kicking Corners is a busy lady making this writing dream come true, so she asked me to guest post today. Go check it out - not for my nonsense, but for her gorgeous blog.

10 comments:

  1. HA! Story of my life. I post my answer at precisely the moment you post your linky-goodness post. *sigh*. Here's mine. I wasn't procrastinating. I was stuck.

    http://www.janesinfinitewisdom.com/2012/03/searching-for-courage.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right. I did it. I wasn't going to, but I give in to the peer pressure. I want to be like all the cool girls! You don't have to add me to your post, but here's the link to my post. http://frazzledandfrumpy.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-do-you-do-part-one-fiction.html

    Thanks for doing this, I know I've learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already done, darling. Thank you so much for stepping up! I love it!

      Delete
  3. This is a good post. I enjoy reading the contents of your blog very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link(s) and thanks again for such a great topic. I've really enjoyed making the rounds and seeing all the differences and similarities in the techniques that get us to all those unique places our writing takes us.

    By posting three responses to one post, I may have contributed to the misperception that I'm a little bit of a lunatic when it comes to writing. Since I'm actually a lot of a lunatic, I guess I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely a lunatic when it comes to many things, so I am just relieved to have a comrade in that. Your posts were fascinating and very helpful, so there's no way I'd leave one out!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!