Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pushing My Buttons

Does anyone besides me remember when it was cool in the late 80s to load your jean jacket down with snarky, colorful buttons? Was it cool? Or was it just me? No. It can't have just been me. I was thinking about my vast collection of buttons this afternoon and wondering whatever happened to them. (Of course I now know, after "researching" for this post that someecards.com is the jean jacket button collection for the 21st century. How silly of me not to realize before.)

Among my favorites were:

"Where have you been all my life? Please go back there."

someecards.com - Two things: 1) Where have you been all my life? 2) Can you please go back there?

"Is that your face or did your neck throw up?"
someecards.com - Good lord -- is that your face, or did your neck throw up?

and
"Belly button. Issued by the US Navel Academy." (Get it?! Navel? Instead of Naval? Ah, it's classic. Belly buttons are unanimously funny under any circumstance. They are much like potted plants that way. Can you believe I couldn't find an image for this one anywhere on the interwebs?! Ridiculous.)


The button I was thinking about today was probably my favorite:
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

I think this would be a useful button to still have around.

I'm completely embarrassed to admit that I got in a Facebook fight today. With a complete stranger.

I need a shower and a nap and a stern talking-to.

I need a chai latte.

I need for everybody, right now, to stop repeating things they've read or seen on the news if they don't know what they're talking about.

Ha! That last one's really going to happen any time soon. Or ever.

I need to stay off of social media unless it is to read Jim Gaffigan's Tweets about food. That is some funny stuff. Jim Gaffigan is like a member of our family. The monkeys have several of his routines memorized and repeat them at random, especially in public and to bewildered adults. For a good time, ask them if they'd like to eat a Hot Pocket. Seriously. Funny stuff.

I had a complete stranger tell me today that I was wrong about what was actually happening to me and my family, in my life; that his culled "facts" from the Huffington Post were a more accurate representation of my life than what I am currently experiencing. It boggles the mind, really. I suppose I could write this one person off as a crazy person, but if so, I would have to write off most of the interactions I see in places like Facebook.

I don't get out much. My circle of friends is relatively limited. Do people really talk to each other this way?

It's bizarrely post-modern to repeat talk-show propaganda and when pressed, to hurl insults in the face of a human being who is trying to explain their own experience. It is such common practice, though, to go charging off naked into these battles, insisting that we are not only armed, but completely bulletproof. This is far more frightening to me than any legislation or congressional shenanigans.


someecards.com - I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person.

I lost my button. I need it back.
Today, I lost my cool. I need it back.
Last week, we lost our income. We'd like it back.

Let us not completely lose our humanity. We might not get it back.

21 comments:

  1. I wish there was something I could do or say to help. We've called and written to our representative. My husband used the word "appalled" and I used "tantrum." I wish that were enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margi. You help by being there, by thinking, by reasoning, and by insisting on proper grammar! I am composing a letter to all 535 members of Congress and it will include words like "love" and "compassion" and "I'm praying for you." I can't add to the ugliness anymore.

      Delete
  2. People feel compelled to vomit their every thought out onto the internet, masked by relative anonymity, bolstered by Wikipedia, informed by memes. These battles are only ever won by not engaging, which I find very, very difficult. I hope things look up for your family soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have nailed it. That whole phenomenon keeps me up at night sometimes. Where have we gone so wrong? I almost never engage on anything meaningful on Facebook. I don't know what came over me yesterday. We're all right, though.

      Delete
  3. *hug*

    I'm trying to think of something helpful to say, but I think that that's all I've got, Kelly already said it better than I would have. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

    And one more - *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. I will always accept hugs. There's nothing to say, really. It will all be all right for us.

      Delete
  4. I had some nice button covers from that era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an ellipse of friends instead of a circle. Most of the time it is an incomplete ellipse.

      Delete
  5. So dang glad you're writing again!! Well said, all of it. No matter the topic or the exact perspective each of us boasts, everyone should read this. You and yours are certainly still in our prayers. No worries about losing your cool. We all do it now and then, and lately there is no shortage of prodding from social media. LOL And if I find any buttons, I'll send em your way! xoxo love from Oklahoma!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. You are so sweet to me, always.

      Delete
  6. I am finding all those kinds of Facebook conversations daunting in just the same way and get in the same kind of trouble very occasionally. I think it happense because of my upbringing, which told me that, in the face of injustice, it is imperative to act. If anyone had known about it at the time, I'm quite sure they would have explained that Facebook was to be an exception to this rule. However, I can't get over that sense of righteous indignation, try as I might. And I suppose it's the same essential fabric of my nature that has also made me the person that I am—in a good way. I can't seem to get rid of it, so there it is. :) And I am indignant on your behalf, specifically, Lou. Please consider it a gesture of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and your family. These are tough times indeed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn (Laurel). I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. I had a button on my jacket that said, "take me to your mistletoe." I wore it year-round. It would be good to have now, a little love and kisses would go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous. I agree. I need one of those, too. And you know what? It makes me so giggly to know that you knew exactly what I was talking about with the buttons and the jacket.

      Delete
  9. Sorry. Mine goes this week (my company held on for two weeks in expectation, no more)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim Gaffigan is the bomb. Ask anyone in our house if we want a vegetarian hot pocket....

    This will probably not surprise anyone who knows I own three dogs, but my favorite jean jacket button said 'the more I know men, the more I like my dog.' I also owned a key chain and stationery that said the same thing. As an adult, I do like most of my fellow man. Not the ones that drive me facebook crazy, but I probably wouldn't have liked them in real life. So sorry to hear of your tough times; you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!